PHITS user's manual and lecture notes
The latest version of the manual is 3.02
[ 3.02 ] 2017/12/05
Manual is also updated in order to be suit for PHITS3.02
[ 2.88 ] 2016/09/30
[ 2.82 ] 2015/12/24
[ 2.76 ] 2015/03/20
[ 2.64 ] 2014/02/19
[ 2.52 ] 2013/03/05
[ 2.30a ] 2011/12/02
[ 2.30 ] 2011/08/18
[ 2.23 ] 2010/10/04
- PHITS introduction (pdf, 11MB, 2018/06/29)
- Exercises: Exercises using Recommendation Settings and Utilities (ppt, 5.8MB, 2016/05/17)
- Exercises: How to stop α, β, γ-rays and neutrons? (pptx, 1.9MB, 2019/02/07) UPDATE!
- Exercises: Melt a snowman by proton beam (pptx, 1.5MB, 2018/11/30)
- Exercises: Shielding exercise (ppt, 0.7MB, 2017/01/10)
- Advanced Lecture: Useful Functions(pptx, 1.3MB, 2019/02/07) UPDATE!
- Advanced Lecture: Variance Reduction Techniques to Improve Efficiency of Calculation A (ppt, 1.9MB, 2018/08/17)
- Advanced Lecture: Variance Reduction Techniques to Improve Efficiency of Calculation B (ppt, 4.1MB, 2018/08/17)
- Advanced Lecture: Making Voxel Phantom (ppt, 2.3MB, 2016/05/17)
- Advanced Lecture: Setting of various source Part I (ppt, 1.6MB, 2018/08/17)
- Advanced Lecture: Setting of various source Part II (ppt, 1.5MB, 2018/06/29)
- Advanced Lecture: Connection between PHITS and DCHAIN-SP (ppt, 1.0MB, 2018/08/17)
Guidance for group work (sample)
Download zip file (including sample input files)
- Basic Lecture (zip, 13.4MB, 2017/04/27)
- Exercises (zip, 16.4MB, 2017/01/10)
- Advanced Lecture (zip, 33.6MB, 2017/01/05)
- DICOM2PHITS (zip, 23.1MB, 2016/10/28)
- Recommendation Settings (zip, 7.4MB, 2016/09/30)
Recommended PC environment
OS: Windows (XP or higher), Mac (OS X v10.6 or higher), Linux or Unix
System memory: 1 GB or larger (more than 2 GB is recommended)
Hard disk: 6 GB or larger
Required Software: Editor that can show the line number
Examples of recommended editor
TeraPad (in Japanese)
Notepad++ (in English)
mi (for Mac, in Japanese)
EPS viewers such as ghostscript & GSview are required to show graphical output files calculated by PHITS.
Examples of download site of ghostscript for Windows:
PHITS is a Fortran program for particle transport simulation based on Monte Carlo
method. We prepared installer of PHITS, so you do not have to compile PHITS by yourself.
On the other hand, re-compile of PHITS is required to extend memory used in PHITS calculations and define your own source using the usrsors.f file.
Fortran compiler is required to compile PHITS.
Recommended Fortran compilers are Intel Fortran 11.1 (or later) and gfortran (4.8 or 7 series).
The best recommended compiler is Intel Fortran because PHITS compiled by Intel Fortran is much faster than that by gfortran.
If you are student, you can obtain Intel Fortran for free.
For instlation of gfortran in Windows, please see
Note that OpenMP is not available to compile PHITS with gfortran.
Although the possibility that compilation and execution of PHITS with other compilers will fail is high,
there are some successful cases with compilers such as PGI Fortran and Fujitsu Fortran.